Mount Pleasant Scenic Area
Thrasher’s Creek Community
Amherst County, Virginia
The battle against a wildfire in Amherst County that’s been ongoing for over a week now, continues.
But firefighters have made tremendous progress on the fire, and with approaching rains Tuesday and Wednesday, it should help put the fire out, hopefully for good.
Below the morning update, verbatim, from the US Forest Service:
Don Pyrah, Fire Information Officer
Location: Mount Pleasant Scenic Area, Thrasher’s Creek Community
Protection: Amherst County
Start Date: Saturday November 19th, 2016 approx. 06:15 PM
Ownership: USDA Forest Service, George Washington & Jefferson National Forests, Glenwood and Pedlar Ranger Districts
Type of Incident: Wildfire
Size: 11,229 Acres
Resources: Engines 22, Hand Crews 2 Type 2, 10 Type 2IA and IA Modules, Bulldozers 1, Helicopters 1, Overhead Personnel 60, Total Personnel 305
REHABILITATION EFFORTS BEGIN
Yesterday, firefighters on all areas of the fire continued efforts to strengthen containment lines. Their efforts included mop-up, structure protection, and patrol. Resources assigned to the fire also began assessing efforts for fire line rehabilitation.
Today fire resources will continue providing structure protection, patrolling containment lines and mop-up.
The weather forecast is for significant rain over the fire area beginning Monday evening and extending through Wednesday.
· North Fork Road (SR 635) closed at Panther Mountain (FR #1286)
· Thrasher’s Creek Road (SR 617) is closed at Molly’s Mountain due to firefighting activities. Local traffic will be permitted
· The Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area is temporarily closed due to fire activities. All roads and trails within the Scenic Area are temporarily closed including
· Wiggins Spring Road/Hog Camp Gap Road (FR #48) is closed from the junction at State Route 634 (Coffeytown Road) through to Salt Log Gap
· Coon Bridge Road (FR #1167)
· Cow Camp Road (FR #520)
· Fletcher Mountain Road (FR #507)
· Appalachian National Scenic Trail (FT #1) from Long Mountain Wayside to Salt Log Gap
· Old Hotel Trail (FT #515)
· Henry Lanum Trail (FT #702)
· Mt. Pleasant Trail (FT #704)