Nelson County, VA
With the exceptionally high snowfall rates we’ve experienced lately along with winds sometimes exceeding 67MPH gusts in the mountains, people who own propane furnaces that use an exhaust pipe located near the ground are urged to inspect and make sure drifting snow has not blocked the pipe. “We are approaching snowfall amounts and wind drifts – enough to possibly block exhaust vents and potentially push CO (carbon monoxide) back into structures,” said Tim Spicer, VP of operations for Foster Fuels based in Lovingston.
Tips mentioned include:
-Keep snow and ice from accumulating
on propane equipment.
-Snow or ice accumulation can potentially cause
parts of your propane system to crack or break, resulting
in a gas leak. It is your responsibility to make sure that
all propane pipes, valves, regulators, and tanks are
clear of snow and ice.
-Gently brush away snow or ice
that has accumulated around the tank, meter, regulator,
and any other piping. Do this using a broom or by
hand. If you must use a shovel, use extreme caution
around all equipment.
-If you notice any snow or ice
buildup that cannot be removed easily, contact your
propane retailer immediately. DO NOT attempt to
remove snow or ice by kicking or hitting equipment.
-Be alert to snow buildup
on rooftops and other areas.
-Frequently check where snow or ice collect on your
roof, structure, or nearby trees and clear it if you
believe it might fall on any part of your propane
system. Never shovel snow off roofs and onto propane
-Heavy accumulations of snow or ice falling
on tanks, regulators, meters, piping, or valves may
cause damage that could result in a gas leak.
In high snowfall areas, drifting snow and snow and ice
sliding off the roof may require additional regulator and
-Consider installing snow protection
or a “snow shelter” above your meter or regulator to
prevent snow and ice damage. Contact your propane
retailer for more information.
-Keep vents clear.
Appliance vents and chimney flues must ALWAYS be
clear of snow or ice. Some homes may have “direct”
vents, which are close to the ground. Improper venting
can cause carbon monoxide to become trapped in
your home, causing serious illness or even death.