Nelson County, Virginia
A carbon dioxide leak caused quite a scare Friday morning at the McDonald’s in the town of Lovingston in Nelson County.
One of the canisters used to make carbonated drinks had a malfunction, leaking carbon dioxide into the air. Several employees said they felt sick after coming into contact with the toxic gas.
Crews from the Lovingston Fire Department were called to the fast food restaurant shortly after 8 a.m. They checked the gas meter and determined that no lethal doses of carbon dioxide were in the air.
“It just put a lot of CO2 into the building,” said fire official Timothy Asbell. “We shut the building to air it out, then we let everybody go back to work.”
The employees who complained of nausea were examined on site by rescue crews. No one was taken to the hospital.