Nelson County, Virginia
This past weekend Joseph Morse, author of “Virginia’s Country Stores – A Quiet Passing,” spoke on the importance of country stores to rural communities and will displayed a model of an old county store replete with items one might have purchased there. Rare photographs of Nelson County country stores were also shown.
The presentation was put on by Nelson County’s Museum of Rural History in Arrington and The Rockfish Valley Foundation at the old Wintergreen Country Store, the former home of Spruce Creek Gallery.
Jimmy Wood, proprietor of a store in Wingina, told stories from the past, and Ral Satterwhite, whose family owned a store in Colleen dating back to the 18th century, had old papers dating back to 1835 on display that revealed much about the history of the country store.
Artifacts from a Massies Mill country store owned by Capt. William Massie were also on display.