Oakland Re-Opens March 27
Oakland – Nelson County’s Museum of Rural History, will reopen Saturday, March 27 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a new version of a slide shown at the Camille Remembrance in August, 2009, marking the 40th anniversary of Hurricane Camille, showing in the Camille Resource Center exhibit room. Oakland will be open every Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sundays from 1-4 p.m. from now until late December.
An audio cd of a program featuring an interview with Carl and Warren Raines, who survived the flood as teenagers as their family perished will be available for $15. DVDs of the 40th anniversary Remembrance will be on sale for $20.
Oakland will present a program and slide show on once ubiquitous country stores and its impact of their disappearance on Sunday, April 11 at 2 p.m. at the old Wintergreen Country Store on Rt. 151 south of Nellysford.
Joseph Morse, author of “Virginia’s Country Stores – A Quiet Passing,” will speak on the importance of country stores to rural communities and will display a model of an old county store replete with items one might have purchased there. Rare photographs of Nelson County country stores will be shown.
Jimmy Wood, proprietor of a store in Wingina, will tell stories from the past and Ral Satterwhite, whose family owned a store in Colleen dating back to the 18th century, will have old papers dating back to 1835 on display that reveal much about the history of the country store.
Artifacts from a Massies Mill country store owned by Capt. William Massie will be on display.
The event is co-sponsored by the Rockfish Valley Foundation.